12.17.2007

It's Plastic, Mom!



This past August, we signed Emily up for AYSO soccer. After a fun season with 5 other girls (6 and younger), one being Emily's dear friend Kylie, we enjoyed a season-end dinner at a local pizza parlor.

Our coach, Kylie's dad, Kevin, did a wonderful job calling the girls up one at a time and highlighting some of their plays throughout the season. He then gave each of them a trophy. Now, we did not win any title, but the trophy was, I suppose, for 'effort' and 'participation'...how things have changed since I was younger!



The next morning, Emily walks into our room and she is holding her trophy.

Now, I knew that from all of the "talk" about the girls getting a trophy at the pizza dinner (thanks, Kevin) I would have assumed her elation for this thing would last a very long time. I was wrong.

As she stood there, looking somewhat confused, disappointed, and frustrated, I said, "What's up?"
She said, "Touch this" as she pointed to the top of the trophy where the girl kicking the ball was.
So, I did.
I said, "Yeah?, What are you thinking about?"

(I had a feeling I knew just by her look and tone...her and I are soooo similar! I was actually looking forward to hearing what came out of her mouth, so I indulged myself).

She said with a tone of disappointment, "It's plastic!"

I wanted to keep this going, so I said innocently, "You're right! What do you think about that?" (Oh, I couldn't contain myself!)

She replied, "It's supposed to be glass!!"

(Our children knew the difference between the two early in life. Thus putting very special value on glass. Plastic was for toys and other things that babies and kids played with.)

Oh, precious girl! Wait until you hear/learn about CZ!
:-)

Love you daughter.

1 comment:

Brigette Little said...

Cute story! Our boys think their trophies are toys, and I am forever gluing them back together. I guess I should be grateful they're NOT glass!