12.24.2009

Birthday...how sweet it was.


As I drifted off to sleep last night, I reflected on the activities of the day.
It began extra special with some love from Jeff and a whisper to 'sleep in'. As he left the room to go down stairs, I fell back into a deep sleep. I awoke again with Nathan and Emily bursting into the room and Nathan declaring, "There's bacon!!" Then a swift tongue lashing from Emily, "Naaaate, you ruined the surprise!!".
The kids and I tumbled around in bed for a minute or two then we all got up to go down stairs for breakfast and gifts.
:-D
Jeff was at the stove cooking up as much bacon as I could consume, frying eggs, and flippin' pancakes. It was a lovely start to "my day".

Jeff had some work to attend to so the kids and I were picked up by a friend of ours and her and I and the kids (5 total) headed down to IKEA in Burbank. (I believe that I have been to IKEA twice in my life, this being the 3rd time.)

We shopped and ate lunch and purchased a few items there before heading home. On our way, we decided to continue the bday fun with a stop at the park. We let the kids play for quite some time as Julie and I walked several laps. We finally made it back home at about 4pm. Just in time to gather our selves together and load up the car for my folks house.

There, my mom and dad had decorated the dining room with bday decor with festive party colors and signage. They also made it extra special by ordering and picking up (thanks G/G Seal) take out from The Bear Pit down in Granada Hills. This was soooo good. All 10 adults consumed BBQ lamb sandwiches on garlic cheese toast. YUMM! This has been a bday tradition for the last several years...and more to come.

They sang, we ate ice cream cake, and I opened my lovely gifts...it was delightful.

To top off the evening, Em and Nate spent the night at my folks (with brother's fam also) and then my brother offered to bring the kids home later in the morning!

Today we lay low, getting ready for the gathering at Gram-ma Bernards' for Christmas Eve later tonight. In the morning we will be hosting the Bernards immediate fam then heading back over to mom and pops for more exchanging, eating, and resting. It will be pretty mellow as it will only be the 4 of us and my folks that afternoon (Bub and Toby head for OR that a.m.)

As a bonus (which also has become a tradition for our July Anniversary) my folks take the kids for the weekend (Christmas night thru Sunday night) so that Jeff and I can have some 'alone time' in our home. I look forward to these weekends every time!

Thanks mom and dad for your generosity and love. We all are the undeserving recipients of it.

As Christmas is upon us, I think of the blessings the Lord has so graciously given me. Jeff, our children, our parents, and our extended family...we have so much to be thankful for.

No comments: