



This past week Jeff was in Loreto, MX with the usual group (brother, dad, brother's father-in-law and bro-in-law). The 5 of them go down every year for about a week. This year, I asked a dear friend to come stay with me and the kids while he was away.
While B was here, we went shopping, ate out, and had long talks together, it was truly a blessing in time of need for me.
On one of our shopping days, we were headed back to the car after a very successful day. While passing through a department store to get to where we were parked we had to walk through the bedding dept and that's when I saw it. It was the bedding (bedspread/quilt) that I just HAD to have! In 1997 my mom bought me the rose and forest green floral quilt that had been on our bed since...and it was fine, but we have not changed anything other than that in the 15 yrs that we have been together--it was about time.
Well, this purchase (that was marked down by $75) snowballed into refreshing the entire master bedroom. The change happened within a span of 48 hrs with lots of 'cleaning out' of the old stuff that just accumulates over the years. Due to the last minute idea to really change it up and have it beautified by the time Jeff arrived home Sunday afternoon, I did not get "before" pictures. In a way I am relieved that I don't have to show the pics but it would have been fun to look back on. Below are some pictures of how the room looks now.
The changes that I made include:
- Removed a press board bookshelf and about 125+ books
- Reorganized the linen closet just outside our bedroom door to add the VHS and DVDs into that were also apart of the very jam packed book case
- Saved the books that I wanted and moved them to an upper shelf in our closet (easily accessible instead of storage in the garage)
- Removed 2 large storage tubs and 2 sleeping bags that were being stored in our very tiny closet
- Moved the TV cabinet out from the corner and centered it on the wall at the foot of our bed (where the bookshelf was)
- Removed the random pics of guys fishing and other peoples weddings...etc put up some of just Jeff and I
- Bought a plate (to use as a tray) to display my perfumes on our dresser (thanks for the idea B!)
- Hung new rods (thanks mom and dad!) and new valences and sheers
- Bought some coordinating pillow cases until the shams arrive
- Replaced lamp bases and shades
- Hung a metal art piece above our bed
- Removed the nursery glider and replaced it with our wooden rocking chair (bought accessory pillow)
- Hung 2 other metal pieces that were stored away in place of the framed art we had in the bath and shower areas
Before Jeff left we discussed investing in a new TV for our room (mounted flat screen). And since the day we moved into the 900 sq ft trailer with all our salvaged pieced-together furniture we always said, we would get a new (matching) bedroom set for our 15 yr anniversary....well, that's this summer!!
So, more changes are to come, but for now this was a much needed face-lift to a very special room. And for all of those wondering what Jeff thought after the big reveal when he got home Sunday...well, he loooooved it!
Thanks again to Barb for the inspiration, Julie for the encouragement, and parentals for the last minute help on the window project!
1 comment:
I love it! I did the same thing a few years ago. Greg was on a long international trip for work, and my sister-in-law was here. We had a ball and it was fun to surprise Greg. Good job!
Post a Comment