It started out with my thoughts growing on each other as our guest speaker at church was wrapping up his sermon...It started with, "Why are we not building up our heavenly treasures? Instead, we are all so consumed with our worldly ones." Jeff has said all along, we are such consumers!!
Well, I told Jeff (since he does all of the finances and he sees what comes and goes) that I wanted to stop using our credit cards on our consumption and use only cash, just for a month. Now, we have tried this before, mind you (a few times), on his suggestion, and it did not work out so well. Before...He suggested that I get $100/wk and that had to be used on groceries first then what ever cash I had left, I could spend however I wanted...NOT including gas. Thus, helping me to shop smarter with sales, ads, and coupons...This did not work out so well. This is not an area that I excel at.
This time...My goal was for him to know that M-F while he was at work, there would be no spending from me except with the set amount of cash given. So, that on Saturday mornings when he paid the bills on-line, there would not be any unexpected "surprises". PTL, we have no credit card debt, which is good, but every week my spending would fluctuate and some weeks were crazy ridiculous and others were just ridiculous! :-)
My challenge/mind-set was that I would have to discipline myself not to buy unnecessary things while I did my shopping at Target, Wal.mart, or where ever, and only stick to the 'needs' that we had. I would inevitably see things that made life easier, were a convenience, a want, or on sale and I would get it because I knew we had money and it was not a big deal---to me that is.
So, I told Jeff...You come up with an amount per week that you will give me (or I get from the bank) and this will cover EVERYTHING except food/groceries. This is due to the fact that he is a way BETTER shopper/coupon saver than me and we do the shopping on Sundays together. So, when we are together, he spends whatever he wants and can be assured that I have not spent anymore than $100 that week.
I also pay for my gas. The reasoning behind that was to help me be mindful of the price of gas and it keeps me from going out and spending money/shopping as an activity with the kids--that last part sounds so ridiculous, I know. But if I do not drive to Target (just to get out of the house) then I won't spend the money, right!? Oh, and that's a cute shirt for Em, and Nate needs new shoes, and Starbucks is right there, 'you guys want a chocolate milk too'? Yummy, let's pick up McD's on the way home!! hahaha
Anyway, there have been a few things that I have used the CC on (such as on-line purchases for the Parks and Rec activities...Soccer and Boot camp) but I told Jeff about it; which is what he wants in the first place, a heads-up...No surprises. I pick up the rest of the fees/purchases to get through the classes (exercise mat, weights, shoes, shin guards...) Same thing goes with Em's school supplies/needs. He pays tuition and I pick up the rest of the "things" for the year.
So, anyway, that's it in a BIG nutshell. I am not sure how Christmas will go. Jeff and I will need to make a list of names and amounts that we agree upon and then anything over that will come out of my pocket. It will be hard...When I see something I know someone will like or need, I just want to get it, not be stuck within a money amount. Some years may be an expensive gift and another year a cheaper one...
On a different note...I am going school shopping next week (Public). Jeff feels strongly that the kids should be in public school. Our worlds collide once again!
Here's just a funny picture of Emily wearing and using a coat and unbrella that were recently given to her.
2 comments:
Jan,
I enjoyed reading about your spending fast. I struggle in the same ways and have tried some techniques in the past and it seems to be this never ending battle. I'm encouraged to try yet again since you've motivated me.
Changing subjects, I thought you told me when you were at Masters that you were taking the education classes because you wanted to home school your kids.....out of curiousity, are you going to home school?
I enjoy reading your blog and seeing the pics of your kiddos. Hope you all have a beautiful and fun fall.
Love,
Jen
Thanks for sharing about the spending fast. I certainly have my own "problem areas." One of those being books. I finally talked to Jake about a plan to limit my buying in this area. He suggested that I not by a new book for the children or for myself until we have finished reading one that we already have. Very reasonable, I think!
I did not know that you signed Emily up for soccer! Justin starts next week. (Thursday afternoons. He's in the same class as Jacob Tatlock.)
Post a Comment