
Emily’s Birth Story
As told by her mother.
Daddy and I conceived you the week of Christmas, possibly, my birthday (12/23/01). We had celebrated our 6th anniversary that July. I was working as a preschool teacher at Sunshine Preschool on Wiley Cyn. 2002 would be my last year there.
A bit of history…
So, we were NOT expecting you. We were not using birth control since Oct. ‘96 but since then until now, there were no pregnancies…and we were not to the point of desiring a baby so much that we sought medical intervention…we just were letting things go on their own. That fall, Stephanie Flowers and I got gym memberships together and on Jan. 2nd started a cycling class. After weeks of feeling really tired…and not normal, she suggested I go and get a pregnancy test. I thought, “I’m not pregnant!” But all week it was in my head. My period should have started around the 2nd week of Jan. That time came and went. On Monday, 1/28/02 I asked her to come to the house and sit with me while I took one.
It shown the “+” sign almost immediately. I started to cry—an overwhelming, no turning back flood of emotions.
Stephanie Flowers and I sat and cried and she prayed for us. As we were laughing and crying and thinking of a creative way to share the news with daddy, he walked through the front door. I stumbled over my words, and I do not remember what I even said. His reaction was a LOUD, “Wahoo!!” I think the neighbors heard.
How we told people…
The following weekend, we went to YaYa and Poppa’s house and had dinner there. We had devised a plan to tell them that there had been a big test that I had to take (they assumed for teaching/school) and we elaborated saying that we did not tell anyone prior because I did not know how I would do. So, when they asked how I did, I asked if they wanted to see. They said, “Yes.” So, out of my pocket I pulled a clear zip top baggie containing the pregnancy stick with the big “+” sign. I held it up, and I said, “I passed!!”
Milestones…
I first saw an ultra sound of you at 8 weeks. It was Valentine’s Day.
I first felt you kick and roll while I was lying on my side in bed, the morning of Mother’s Day. I am sure you were fluttering around prior to this, but it was no mistaking it for gas or cramps.
Side note…
Around the time that I first saw “kidney bean” in my womb (that’s what you looked like in your first ultra sound); I started to spot. I quit the cycling class, and asked the Dr. what was going on. He had mentioned that I had a cervical polyp the size of his pinky nail growing on my cervix. When we went in for our 10 week check, it had doubled in size. This concerned him, so he sent us to a cervical specialist. Dr. Bergman was recommended by Auntie Katie (B). He watched it grow, took a biopsy of it, and monitored me through out the pregnancy.
At about 20+ wks the growth stabilized, and around 30+ wks, it began to shrink slightly. He encouraged us that it may even be “sloughed off” during delivery.
Countdown…
Tuesday, 9/24/02 your dad and I had our last of many doctors apt with Dr. Nishiguchi (Dr. “Nish”) who was also recommended by Auntie Katie B. That week we had decided to induce labor on Friday, 9/27/02. Your original due date was Sept. 21st.
So, anticipating your arrival the following day, your dad and I had dinner and drove around lower Placerita Cyn., listening to songs from Moulan Rouge (Love Song).
Delivery…
7 a.m., Friday, 9/27th…
We headed to the hospital (Henry Newhall Memorial Hospital) on Mc Bean, about 2 miles from our home.
The registration desk was prepared with our paperwork and directed us upstairs to the maternity ward.
When we arrived, a nurse assigned us to a room and immediately instructed me to undress and handed me 2 gowns to put on.
I was overwhelmed by the smooth transitions that were taking place. This was just another patient to the hospital, just another mom in the maternity ward, just another baby being born…these were all firsts for me.
At about 8 a.m., Dr. Nish arrived and began to check my dilatation. I was 90% effaced and about 3 ½ cm. dilated (I had begun dilating around the 1st of Sept., so he did not expect that I would go another 4 weeks w/o delivering).
So, then your dad and I listened to your heart beat, and I began walking around in the halls as my water was releasing. I did this for another 4 hrs. I was disappointed that nothing progressed with this step. He instructed the nurse to admin. Pitocin b/c no progress was made “naturally”. At about 1:45 p.m., hard contractions began, and began fast!
YaYa had arrived around this time and started to help Jeff coach me through them. That did not last long. Around 2:30, we opted for an epidural. We caught our window just in time. I was just about 6-7 cm. At that time, everyone but Jeff was instructed to leave the room while the epidural was being admin. That kicked in within 20-30 min.
Smooth sailing…5:25, Dr. Nish came in and checked my progress…he said that we would begin pushing.
What?! It’s time? Now? Oh! Our life will be forever changed!
OK. RN LynnDee and Dr. Nish prepared the room and the bed. He then simply instructed me to push (like I was having a BM). Nice.
OK, another set of barring down and 1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10.
After about 8-10 of these – 5:58 pm, you my dear, were born.
Jeff was so excited that it was over; he delayed a few seconds in telling me whether you were a boy or a girl!!
So, Dr. Nish caught his attention away from me and said, “Dad, do you want to tell mom what she had?”
Jeff gathered himself, looked over at you being held up, and it was you!! A GIRL! We were so thrilled; it caught us both off guard. Everyone thought you would be a boy. I was slightly leaning towards the possibility of you being a girl…and you were.
At that moment, we had decided we would name you Emily Elizabeth. “Emily” we chose b/c it is a classic name dating back to the 17th century. “Elizabeth” was the mother of John the Baptist. The deciding factor for that name was the fact that you were very active in my womb. Luke 1:39-45 speaks of Mary visiting Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary’s voice, the baby inside Elizabeth leaped! v. 41
After several minutes of amazement over you, and photo shots, daddy went to the hospital waiting room where YaYa, Poppa, Grammy, Grampa, Great Gram Cleo, and Uncle Mike were there eagerly awaiting the news.
They came into the room and we all shared hugs, smiles, kisses, and awing over you.
The nurses were so nice and patient as everyone came through. After everyone left and we settled down, the nurse began to show me how to nurse you.
Later in the evening, around 10pm, Mark Felan, daddy’s cousin brought a chocolate shake and In ‘n Out treats for us. Yum!!
Daddy was allowed to stay that night in the delivery room…not a restful night for him in a stiff plastic chair. He took care of you all night, and woke me when you needed to be fed.
Saturday we were moved to one of the few private rooms. We had plenty of visitors that day, and I even skipped a feeding…I’m not used to this “Every 2-3 hrs” of feeding. Sorry. You were so content with being held and loved by all who came. In your baby book there are lots of pictures and a list of all the loved ones who held you.
Sunday, Sept 29th was “going home day”. I was so ready, so I thought. It was nice having daddy’s undivided attention and the attention of all the nursing staff. They are extra attentive to the 1st time mommies.
We dressed you, signed all the papers, and loaded up the car. We put you in your car seat…you did not like that. You cried all the way home. The weather was exceptionally beautiful; sunny and warm! When we walked into the house…we had a pac ‘n play set up in the family room (complete with a changing table station).
When I set you down the silence and reality hit me. We were on our own. Daddy and I both cried; letting the happiness and shock pour down our faces. It was a scary and beautiful moment.
Deciding on a name…
• If you were born a boy, we had Jack picked for a name. I taught a boy named Jack Kerchner at Sunshine Preschool. He was a true joy!!
We liked Jack Jeffrey and using “JJ” as a nick name.
• Girl names were very difficult to decide on at first. Another girl name we considered was Megan. We liked “Meg”.
Once we decided on Emily (“Em” or “Emmy”) daddy suggested Louise as a middle name, after your Grammy. I did not like the prospect of “Emmy Lou” as a nick name. Sorry. Then when I discovered the Luke passage, it was settled immediately.
You would be Emily Elizabeth. We both loved it.
• We did not tell anyone the final choices nor did we decide to find out if you were a boy or a girl, which is a very popular choice these days at 20 wks. Parents are even paying a lot of money for a 3D ultrasound.
Miscellaneous…
• I went from 138 lbs. to 180 lbs. (@ delivery) Ugh!
• That summer was spent in flip flops…not just because it was cooler, but because my circulation on my right leg was being partially blocked. You preferred laying on my right side.
• During the pregnancy, every morning from about 9 wks-14 wks, I threw up in the shower. I also slept from 2pm-4pm, and then went to bed at 8pm. I was so TIRED!
• You began crawling around 10-11 mo.
• At your 1st birthday party (at Grammy & Grampa’s) we announced that you were going to be “Big Sister” in 2004.
• You began walking (3-4 steps) on Christmas morning at Grammy and Grampa’s house. You were 14 mos.
• In January 2004 we moved in with YaYa and Poppa’s house for about 11 wks while we were having an addition put onto the house.
• You were 19 mos. When Nathan was born. We had a scheduled date so you spent the night with YaYa and Poppa for a while and came to visit at the hospital when Nathan was born.
• You had your first hair cut shortly before your 2nd birthday. It was so cute; I am not sure what took me so long to do it?! One of my favorite photos thus far is of that day. You are so precious!
Today…
6 yrs later (2/18/08)
Since the day we first saw you on the ultra sound machine (2/14/02); you have been a gift, a joy, and a blessing to this family.
Over these past 5+ yrs, you have brought out the best and worse in me.
You have exceeded our expectations in everyway!
We love you dear one.
Things you love…
• Princesses
• Dress up
• Going on walks
• Watching movies
• Playing Memory, Tic-Tack-Toe, and Go Fish
• Coloring, water painting, dancing, and listening to books on tape/CD. Some of your favorites: Curious George and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
I LOVE YOU!
Nathan’s Birth Story
As told by her mother.
Daddy and I conceived you on Sunday, August 17, 2003. I remember this day specifically b/c we had just come home from Ventura Harbor where we celebrated Max’s 3rd birthday. That month I was beginning to wean Emily. So, I had my first “light” period that month. Emily was only 10 ½ mo.
A bit of history…
I recalled daddy and I standing over Emily at 9 ½ mo. And I asked him, “Can you believe this is how little Justin was when Jessica got pregnant with Julia?” Emily was not even crawling yet. She was such an infant still! The Lord had great plans for our family when He blessed us with you, Nathan.
A few weeks later, I knew even before I took a pregnancy test, that I was pregnant again. I confirmed with a pregnancy test at the end of the month.
After that test, I was on the phone with Grammy in our bedroom, when I told her the news. She was so excited to hear, and to know she was the first to know. While I was on the phone with her, daddy came home from work (In June he had left Bernards and went to work for Westfield). I handed him the phone and he chatted with Grammy for a few moments when I held up the pregnancy stick/test. He told Grammy what I had just done and he asked out loud, “You’re still carrying that around?” I announced, “This is a new one!” All three of us were giddy! Yikes!
How we told people…
We announced that I was expecting at Emily’s 1st birthday party at Grammy and Grampa’s.
The Pregnancy…
Sorry Nathan, but my pregnancy details with you are much more limited…I had a 10-19th mos. old to chase around!! On top of that, in January 2004 your daddy and I began the addition onto the house. Our goal was to have it complete prior to you being born. We were back in our home during the week of Easter (16 weeks later) painted and live in ready. During that time, we lived with YaYa and Poppa from Jan.-Apr.
I remember feeling good. I only got sick a few times. If I had not a toddler to chase around, I think I would have felt amazingly wonderful! The Lord gave me a blessed time with you in my womb. I felt healthy and not too big, I started at 145 lbs. by your due date I was 175 lbs. I felt that you were this tight little ball sticking out front. With Emily I felt big and wide.
With some of these small differences I thought, perhaps God was giving us a boy.
At our 20 wk ultra sound apt. we opted not to know what you were, we asked the tech to print a picture of it and put it in a seals envelope. We planned to save it and open it later or wait all together and have the picture for the baby book. We tossed around the idea of opening it up at Christmas (only a few days later)…but we waited. Partially, b/c we forgot about the envelope once the construction started. Just this past year I came across it in a drawer…it brought a flood of memories back. Yes, there is no mistaking that the tech saw that you were a boy!
Because daddy had changed companies in June ’03; when it was time for him to sign up for medical coverage we went to an HMO. Previously, with Bernards, we had a PPO and could use Drs in private practice. When daddy told me of the change to an HMO, I joked and complained that I was going to get pregnant and have to find a whole new doctors office. In my mind, no one could compare to Dr. Nish (Emily’s OB) So, off to the Woman’s Clinic at HMNMH where I took a confirmation pregnancy test and cycled through the 5 doctors in that office. I did prefer one, Dr. Navi. He was wonderful and reminded me of Dr. Nish in a way. I got to know him over several visits and at the end; I asked him if I could schedule a delivery with him. He agreed. My due date was May 9th (Mother’s Day). I was, by the way, almost completely effaced and 5 cm dilated at my last apt. He was impressed. We set up an appointment for 7 a.m., May 7th to meet at HMNMH.
The delivery…
The morning of our scheduled day (5/7/04), I woke around 4:30 a.m. to go to the bathroom. While on the toilet, I started to feel very strange. I had to pee, but I just did…hmmm? I dismissed the yucky feeling and lay back in bed. After a few minutes, I mentioned to daddy that I did not feel well. I got up again. While in the bathroom, I told daddy that I would not make it to wait until 7 a.m. to go to the hospital. So, I took a quick shower and got dressed, and we rushed in the car by about 5:55 a.m. I was definitely having natural contractions!! YEAH!! (Something that I wanted to experience)
I was uncomfortable but so excited that I was able experience the natural progression of delivery!
We were admitted around 6:15 a.m. I was changed and in the “Delivery Suite” hooked up and laboring by 6:30 a.m. Dr. Navi arrived and he broke my water. I laibord through several contractions and sent in the request for my epidural before the opportunity passed. At 9:10 a.m. I was ready to go. I began pushing.
1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10.
Dr. Navi, said I did really great….I enjoyed the process. A few more pushes.
You were born at 9:30 a.m.
Daddy took one look at you and announced, “We have a boy!”
Like your sister, we were given a private room at the hospital. The staff at the hospital was wonderful.
When people asked how the delivery was I would say, “With Emily I would have given the experience an A+, with the delivery of Nathan, I give it an A++.” I did not think it could get any better; but it did.
When Uncle Bub and Max came, I felt sad that Aunt Toby did not. Uncle Bub said that she did not feel well enough to be far from home. (She was 3 wks from her due date at that time.) Come Monday, May 10th your cousin, Eloise, was born. There’s something to be said about a mommy’s intuition.
We had a very lovely and relaxed weekend at the hospital. It was quiet as far as foot traffic. I guess the nurses felt as though it’s old hat once you do it the first time. They respected our privacy, and I healed very quickly.
On Saturday, Dr. Navi returned to do the circumcision…I still can’t believe that I got out of bed to go watch the procedure! Just seeing you in the body tray/form strapped down and the instruments laid out…that needle that poked your little pee-pee. Yikes!! I had to lean in on daddy for support. IT was very upsetting—but you were comforted quickly.
I loved how tiny you seemed at 7 lbs next to your sister, Emily (19 mos.) I loved snuggling with you and you loved to be snuggled.
On Mother’s Day, we brought you home. It was a nice but cool day. YaYa kept Emily for another day then brought her back and helped around the house so that I could be with you. The addition to the family room allowed us to give you your own bedroom upstairs and a great little play area downstairs for you and Emily. I had a “new” house (downstairs) and a new beautiful boy in my arms, and mommy’s favorite time of year on the horizon.
Deciding on a name…
This time it seemed more difficult than before to figure out what name. With Emily, we were going to go with Jack if she was a boy. This time, we were unsettled on that. We had decided that if you were a girl, it would be Megan…I think.
By the time your due date came, we had agreed with Riley Jack and call you “RJ” if you had red hair. When you were born, you had black hair…I liked Nathan, but daddy was not totally sold. The nurse that came to check you over asked if we had a name, we said, Riley Michael…Jeffrey…. Once I heard it out loud and looked across the room to all that dark hair, I said, “He’s a Nathan. Nathan Jeffrey.” Then daddy said, Nathan Michael. I LOVED it! So, YaYa and Poppa came in with Emily and we announced it once and for all. During that moment, Grammy walked through the door and heard, “boy” and there was a scream!
You were so beautiful. You were a very cute baby, and looked very much like a little boy. Very handsome features and a button nose like no other. Precious!!
Today…
3 yrs and 9 mos. later (2/18/08)
You are still just as precious and I love looking at you. You are soooo handsome. Even though you have dark hair, people generally say that you look like Grammy. I think you are a spitting image of your Poppa. You have the same ears and eyes.
You have done a job on my nerves son. You have been a 1000% fussier than Emily and a 1000% clingier. I joke with daddy that he prayed for a snuggler (b/c Emily was not) and God gave us a cling-on!
Though, we have had crazy hard times with you, daddy and I have noticed that we may have made a turning point with all the fussing….maybe.
You say, “Hold you?” all the time, and I love to hold you.
Things you love…
• You LOVE to ride your 3-wheeler bike that was handed down from Justin Phillips. You enjoy laying out scrap moldings in the street and pretend they are speed bumps.
• You LOVE speed bumps and blue fire hydrant reflectors, and get a kick out of going over them.
• You LOVE your train table, with the crossing guards, tunnels, and bridges.
• You LOVE the water and LOVE to swim.
Last year at this time (2/18), our pool was almost completed and you had your first swim lessons in July 2007. You did great!
I LOVE YOU!
3 comments:
Those were great stories. I'm sure that Emily and Nathan will love hearing about them when they're older... Well, at least Emily will. :-)
Wow! That was really precious! What a treasure that will be for your kids! I loved reading it! =0)I love that you are posting more again! Hope you are all having a great spring!
Jan,
I enjoyed reading your birth stories. Thank you for sharing your precious memories with us. Love, Jess
See you next Sat.
Post a Comment