3.06.2008

Oatmeal Cookies...

I was inspired by an oatmeal cookie recipe that Jeff made with Emily a few months ago. After the first batch came out of the oven ("normal" cookie size); I noticed that the next batch going on the cooking tray was considerably smaller. I thought to my self that they looked a little funny being so small (1-bite) but it was Jeff and Em's project, I would not interfere.
The entire next week, I realized that I was the only one eating them morning, noon, and night. In the morning, I would break them in half and put them on a few spoonfulls of yogurt for breakfast (I do not typically like the texture of yogurt, but adding the large chunks made it OK). Again, after lunch I would pop 2 more in my mouth for a semi-sweet treat.
I was really enjoying these.

A few weeks ago I tried my own version...I followed a few different recipes and added my own twist to it. The batch came out OK tasting, but the texture of the cookie was more like a muffin.
Some of the things that I added were: oatbran, flax seed, prunes (chopped very fine--I did not have raisins), bananna, and grated and chopped zucchini, ... (the veggie/fruit ideas I got from a cookbook that sneaks those ingredients into everyday foods). So, I was not too far off. So I thought.
I had a few neighbors that liked them, but again, they were too soft and moist for my taste--NOT what I had in mind.

I have been wanting to attept this again; to get those crunchy crispy cookies that Jeff and Em made...so, while my pita chips were baking in the oven (thanks, to the Phillips blog for that recipe), I grabbed the "Organics Quick cook Oatmeal" box from the shelf as a guide for another recipe.

I followed the recipe for the most part some of the things that I changed were, used less sugar, used Smart Balance, added maple syrup, oat bran, orange, cranberries, and nuts (and used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose).
I just finished baking the entire batch, I am having a hard time staying away from them...YUMMY!! I will definately be keeping and using this recipe for many, many more batches. They are so pleasing to my tastebuds!!

A side note. I use recipes as a guide. I typically never follow them exactly and I throw in lots of substitues.

I think next time, I will leave the chocolate out. It was a knee jerk ingredient--certainly not needed. I found a "fundraiser" chocolate bar as I was cleaning the pantry, and instead of throwing it out, I threw it in the batter bowl (chopped).

If I have tempted you and are interested in trying them yourself...the recipe is below.

1 stick butter
½ C Smart Balance, light
½ C brown sugar
½ C wicked white sugar
1/8 C maple syrup
2 eggs
1 T vanilla
< ¼ C OJ
1 ½ C whole-wheat flour
¼ C oat bran
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 ¼ organic quick oats
Zest of 1 small orange
¼ C dried cranberries, reconstituted and chopped
½ C raisins, chopped
¼ C chocolate bar, chopped
¼ C sliced almonds


1. Heat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large bowl, beat softened butter and sugars well w/ electric mixer until creamy. Add vanilla, eggs, and OJ. Beat well.
3. In a separate bowl—stir together flour, oat bran, baking soda, salt, and quick oats.
4. Stir in dry ingredients well into wet ingredients in large bowl.
5. Stir in orange zest, chocolate, raisins, cranberries, and nuts until well combined.
6. Drop dough by small tablespoons (I use a melon baler) onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake 8-9 minutes at 350.
8. Let cool on sheet for several minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
Yield: 75 gems

No comments: