I woke up Tuesday morning thinking about skipping out on BSF because Emily still had a runny nose and a nasty sounding cough. Knowing that we had a pretty laid back week, no commitments except for an "outing" on Thursday morning, I started reading, Potty Training 1-2-3 by Gary & Ann Marie Ezzo (founders of Growing Kids Int'l). I really enjoyed their "Prep" books so I figured I would try their potty training book. I was willing to block out 1-4 days and quit diapers cold turkey, as they suggested. So, when Emily woke up, I told her what we were going to do that day, she really was not interested but went along with it because she had moms undivided attention. Well, throughout the course of the morning, I finished reading the book and Emily had 5 accidents (though, dry for her entire nap). We kept at it, with 2 more accidents before bed. The only motivation was the candy for staying "dry & clean". She woke up Wednesday morning to a wet bed, though not too wet, I was determined, today would be the day it all clicked. Her first and successful attempt was at 9:30! The day came and went with numerous calls to our "praise & encouragement" family & friends. ALL pee pees got in the potty (even a dry nap, again)!
Thursday morning I get a call from my friend who was organizing an outing for us at Burger King Play Palace. I told her what I had so suddenly taken on this week and she understood my fear of leaving our zone. Emily had already started the day successfully, "Dry & Clean" and I thought, why not go have a special lunch with Emily because of her great success. So, I grabbed our potty chair and off we went to have our outing. When we arrived, I had her try going again and after a few minutes she exclaimed, "Ugh, it's too tough." So, in we went, ordered our lunch, ate, and entered the Play room. Her eyes were as big as saucers (this was her first time there). The son of a friend we were with, asked if he could take Emily up to the top and show her the slide down. I fearfully said, "OK." Not fearing for Emily, but for me having to go clean her up because she was too distracted to go potty. I sat and watched the minutes add up to our last potty 2 1/2 hrs. ago. As I am chatting with my friend, and subconsciously thinking about Emily staying "dry & clean" I hear from across the table, a high pitched screech, "Mommy Potty!" I quickly turned, looked down and grabbed her hand. We walked out through the parking lot to the car, lifted her up into the back, and away she went! I was beaming from ear to ear! She not only controlled herself but also stopped what had to be the most fun she had had is months, to go potty. I was so proud, my little girl is no longer in diapers. At that moment, I was convince that this is the reason why I love my SUV, clean & easy. By the suggestion to "go cold turkey with the diapers & pull-ups" I am praying that the day-time training will soon carry-through the night.
Oh, and Nathan started crawling...Oops can't forget about him! :-)
1 comment:
Great story! See you at Gramma"s! I see that Krista has signed on and is keeping updated with your news, too.
Love Ya! Mom
Post a Comment