1.27.2006

Jeff in Thailand

OK, it has been 4 days since he's been gone (1/22 at 6:30 PM). He will not return for another 5 days (1/31 at 10 PM). Uggh. I made a sticker chart to track the progression of days. We did this for Emily while we were in Italy too. Well, I am using it more than she is and she says to me, "Don't worry, I'm here. I will take care of you." Just shoot me! What a love.

I have had some contact with Jeff via email. He sent pictures but I have am not able to post them at this point because I cannot find where I downloaded them. So, when he sends me them again, I will post some. Here are some excerpts from some emails describing some of the things he is doing and seeing. The purpose of the trip was to do some "quality control" with a company that produces elevators and escalators. While there, their company is "hosting" Jeff and JK (works with Jeff) to develop a long-term relationship. Some others from this elevator company also flew back with them because they had not been to the "home office" there, in Thailand. The flight was 18 hrs. and Bangkok is +15 hrs. ahead of us.

The arrival & Day 1
"We arrived safe and sound after an 18 hour flight. It's 7:30 AM Wednesday morning.
We are headed to the factory (Mitsubishi Electric-Elevators and Escalators)now to meet some big-wigs and get one of the tours..."

Day 2
"Well, I am just starting out on our first real morning here.... this morning we are getting together for breakfast and a variety of hosted tours (temples, rivers, local cultural things)."

"Yesterday was so full..... from the time we arrived at about 7:30AM local time to the time we finished dinner with some of our Japanese hosts (11:00PM). We were up (not counting the naps on the plane) for like 48 hours straight. Still adjusting to that."

"The flight was really cool actually.... as is the hotel accommodations (a first class Hilton-like place in downtown Bangkok). The food is very spicy. Last night was a seafood restaurant where you picked out your own fresh fish and they cooked it for you right there.. we had prawns, lobster, muscles, oysters, white fish, scallops, etc). It was good."

Day 3
"This trip is fascinating...learning about the cultures (both Thai and Japanese) is really incredible We are obviously in Thailand, but our dealings have been with the Japanese (Mitsubishi Electric-Elevators and Escalators). The Thai people are very friendly and the Japanese so focused and proper. I have learned a lot about these people and opinions of the Asian race has really changed"

"Before our dinner last night, our Japanese hosts (one ~40 yr old woman and a ~30 yr old man) took us to a tailor and negotiates for us their corporate price for custom made suits. Since I was planning on buying a suit with my bonus anyway, I went ahead a bought one... actually two when I learned how 'cheap' our deal was! Incredible.... custom made, highest quality cashmere wool and 6 custom made shirts and 2 ties to go with them. I can't wait to show you. We were there for like 3 hours.... what a cool experience. We took lots of pictures."

"Other than that, we toured the Thai Grand Palace yesterday... the previous home of their king and the current head religious (Buddhist) temple. 60 acres! Very ornate... just about every surface was clad in shiny stones and tiles. Then inside of the temple, everything was clad in pure gold and gems."

"Today we are touring some of the northern countryside and taking a river tour. Our hosts are very gracious and generous and really focused on forging a relationship with Westfield."

Day 4
"The suit investments has really been the highlight of the trip so far for me... what a cool experience. Last night I went to have my fitting and the fit is just unbelievable...I have never felt to good in anything that I have. Everything custom made (they took like 20 measurements the day before)...and soooooo much cheaper than what anything like this would cost at home. Anyways, I'm very excited to show you when I get back. (Bye the way, I may have the clothes shipped back via Fed-EX or UPS or DHL because I don't know if I can get it all in my suitcases and I don't want to stuff)."


...to be continued.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow..! Sounds like he is really enjoying himself..The suits sound terrific..Can't wait to see them.Little Em is so perceptive and has a really tender heart..What a jewel! You are blessed.
Mom